Friday 18 January 2013

Birthday Croissants


Today is my birthday so I thought I would treat myself to a bit of a naughty breakfast  ~ Cinnamon Apple and Chocolate Banana Croissants.
These are incredibly easy to make and oh so delicious! And apart from the actual croissant dough, the ingredients are things most of us have in the house all the time.


You will need:

1 can of croissant dough (6 croissants)
1 banana
1 apple
1 tsp Cinnamon
4 desertspoons Demerara Sugar
Chocolate spread (a last minute idea that isn't in the photo)

(this will make 4 Cinnamon Apple croissants and 2 Chocolate Banana)

Preheat your oven to 200C / 400F / Gas 6.


The first thing to do is pop your can of dough open, and it really does pop!



Gently unroll and separate out the triangles. The dough feels foamy and is very delicate, mine ended up with several little crescent fingernail marks!
Peel, core and quarter your apple, then cut each quarter in half. Mix the cinnamon and sugar together in a little bowl then sprinkle about a dessertspoonful of this mixture over your dough triangle. Add 2 of the apple pieces and roll up as tightly as you can.

 
 
Gently spread the chocolate spread generously over the remaining 2 triangles. Peel the banana, cut in half and add half to each triangle before rolling tightly as with the apple version. 
 


Place these a good distance apart on a greased baking sheet and bake for 10-15 mins. I sprinkled a little more of the sugar mixture on top of the apple croissants for good measure.



Transfer to a cooling rack for 5 minutes while you make yourself a cuppa, then enjoy!



The Cinnamon Apple croissants had a lovely bite, and the Chocolate Banana ones were dreamy ~ the banana simply melted in the mouth, though the chocolate had a tendency to drip out everywhere (napkins ahoy!)

I think this idea would work well with all sorts of fillings. Bacon & Brie? Cinnamon Sultana? Hmmm, what other fillings can you suggest?


6 comments:

  1. Ooooh that looks gooood!!!! I'm gonna have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were SO good, and v. easy which is a bonus! Let us know how you get on if you do try them :)

      Delete
    2. Oh what's the equivalent of 200c? I suppose I could google it :P

      Delete
    3. Sorry! I should have added them myself, I've edited the post now after using this website: http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking_gasmark.htm
      The temps are 200C / 400F / Gas 6, which is the temperature the croissant pack recommended.

      Delete
  2. Ohh my gosh, LUSH!!!

    Oh and happy belated birthday! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And it's my son's birthday next week, sounds like a great excuse to make them again :D

      Delete