Thursday 11 April 2013

Going Underground ~ the culture continues!

Well it seems that this Easter break has been one long cultural experience! The latest exhibition I visited was at the London Transport Museum ~ Poster Art 150, 150 of their finest Underground Posters to celebrate 150 years of the London Underground.
Those of you who are avid readers may remember me mentioning my love of vintage travel posters in my post about the artist Daphne Padden. So I'm sure you can imagine how I was almost hyperventilating with joy as I wandered slowly around the displays. Each corner I turned brought a new delight, a fresh gasp of astonishment. The range of styles is astounding, from some incredible artists such as Mabel Lucie Atwell, Edward McKnight Kauffer, and Man Ray. 

 
This letterpress poster dates from 1886. I love the typography, and those fabulous Pythonesque pointing hands!
 
 
 
I adore this Russian Constructivist style. 
 
 
 
This was designed by textile artist Margaret Calkin, wouldn't you just love it as a tea towel?
 
 
 
Fabulous Flamingos, wish I could have seen them by floodlight!
 

 
Good advice!
 
 
 
 And as it was between 10 and 4, I bought the t-shirt of this one! I love the bold lines and colours, and I'm a big archery fan so how could I refuse!
 
There are SO many more beautiful posters I just didn't have room for, or get good shots of. The exhibition is on until 27th October so if you can get to London I really recommend it.
If you really can't get to the exhibition itself, there is a great book available from their online shop, and most of the posters are available to order as prints in a variety of sizes.

No comments:

Post a Comment