Sunday 26 January 2014

Poole ~ Birthplace of a Blogger

Yesterday I went back to the town of my birth ~ Poole.


Although I only lived there for a few years we often went back to visit relatives, and I have fond memories of feeding Canada geese and riding the mini train in Poole park. But it is the pottery that is dearest to me. Although the manufacture of Poole Pottery has now moved to Staffordshire there is still a fabulous shop on the quay, and a small studio where new design work and one off pieces are created.

The twintone style is one of Poole's most famous dinnerware ranges. The creamy retro colour palette and satin-soft glaze make it really special.

 
These Talullah vases are very typical of Poole's style. They are made using a technique called Living Glaze, where different glazes are used which react with each other creating a unique effect on each piece. Though the lava tones of the Delphis range is more well known, I love this colour combination! 
 
These vases really caught my eye, I don't know how I managed to walk away without one of these barnacle-crusted lovelies. Ah well, it gives me a good excuse to go back, right?
 

And these brown plates really got my attention, as I had the blue version as a child!


And here it is, along with some of other pieces from my Poole collection. The dolphins and squirrels are inspired by local wildlife ~ Brownsea Island in Poole Harbour is one of the very few places where native red squirrels still thrive in the UK.

 
So there you go, a little bit of love for the place of my birth. I hope you enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment