Monday 3 March 2014

Roast Root Soup

As a working single parent, I make a lot of freezer dinners ~ Stews, Shepherd's Pie, Spag Bol, Maccy Cheese, anything that takes one lot of preparation and yields a few meals is always a popular choice. When I get in from work I don't want to be faffing around with lots of prep, I just want something I can pop in the oven or microwave. But at the weekends I like to make something that takes a little more time and effort. Well, this weekend I managed to do both! A big Toad in the Hole that was both fluffy and crunchy, served with roast veg and onion gravy.

Drooooool!

I made an enormous pan of roast veg to go with the Toad, way too much for two people, and thank goodness, because boy does it make great soup! Thick, hearty, and positively bursting with flavour - and made from leftovers too!


Roast Root Soup

3 parsnips
3 carrots
2 small sweet potatoes
2 potatoes
1 large onion
1 / 2 cloves garlic
Olive oil
approx. 1litre Vegetable stock

Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas 4

Peel and chop all the veg into roughly equal chunks, about 1-2 inches should do it. Put them all into a large roasting pan and drizzle generously with olive oil. Sprinkle with freshly ground salt and pepper and roast for about an hour , stirring halfway through, until all the veg are softly cooked through.
Put all the veg in a blender with approx. 1 litre / 2 pints of vegetable stock and blend until the soup is as smooth as you like it.

This is very much a bung-in-what-you-have kind of recipe ~ I had about 1/4 pint of onion gravy leftover from tea so I bunged that in too. I like my soup very thick and very smooth, but if you prefer more chunks then don't blend it for too long, if you prefer it runnier add a little more stock.

This should make about 4 or 5 servings, plenty for now and for the freezer too. Bonus!

No comments:

Post a Comment